From Mat to Movement: Integrating Yoga and Social Justice
Join us as we delve into the profound connection between yoga and social justice, uncovering how yoga principles can be effectively harnessed to address and dismantle systemic inequalities.
This training provides invaluable insights and practical tools that empower participants to integrate yoga's transformative power beyond the mat and into the realm of social justice advocacy.
Meet your Instructor
Jacoby has extensive experience teaching in diverse settings, including schools, hospitals, non-profit and business offices, maximum security prisons, recovery centers, cancer centers, LGBT centers, gyms, veteran's centers, and yoga studios.
He is a highly respected facilitator who leads workshops and trainings across the country on diversity, equity, and inclusion, consulting on DEI for yoga and meditation organizations.
Jacoby is also the author of the acclaimed book 'A Queer Dharma: Yoga and Meditations for Liberation,' released in 2021.
The training raises awareness about various social justice issues, including inequality, oppression, and marginalization. It fosters the development of a broader perspective and a more empathetic approach towards the challenges faced by marginalized communities.
Our 'From Mat to Movement: Integrating Yoga and Social Justice' training emphasizes the importance of an intersectional approach to social justice. You will learn to recognize and address the interconnected nature of various forms of discrimination, such as gender, sexuality, race, and more. This knowledge enables a comprehensive and inclusive approach to advocacy.
Gain a deeper understanding of your own privileges, biases, and areas for growth, empowering you to become an effective advocate for social justice.
Our transformative training explores a range of compelling topics at the intersection of yoga and social justice. It covers the following main topics:
- Develop a foundational understanding of key terms and concepts related to social justice. Gain clarity on topics such as privilege, intersectionality, systemic oppression, and allyship.
- Learn how to foster a sense of unity, inclusivity, and support within our communities. Explore ways to create safe and welcoming spaces for practitioners of all backgrounds.
- Discover how ancient yogic principles can be relevant and applied to address contemporary social issues.
- Explore yogic practices and techniques that support healing, resilience, and regulation of the nervous system.
- Explore the unique needs and experiences of the LGBTQIA+ community. Learn inclusive teaching approaches and practices that honor and support diverse identities and orientations.
- Delve into the specific considerations and practices for creating trans-inclusive yoga spaces. Understand the importance of language, consent, and mindful teaching methods to ensure a safe and affirming environment for all.
Here is an overview of what you will learn in this
7 hours Online Training
Basic Terms in Social Justice
Solidarity Practices for a Modern Yogi
Yoga Philosophy from a Social Justice Lens
Neurobiology and Settling the Body
Yoga for the LGBTQIA+ Community
Trans Justice in Yoga
Asana Compassion Practice
Deepen your understanding, and become an agent of positive change within the yoga community and beyond.
- 7 hours of pre-recorded content with Jacoby Ballard (including lectures & practices)
- 12 months access to the training
- Access to the Warrior Flow School Community platform for additional resources and to engage with other students